Friday, November 18, 2011

Fractured Friday: Someone Like You





"Nothing compares, no worries or cares. Regrets and mistakes, they're memories made. Who would have known how bittersweet this would taste. Nevermind, I'll find someone like you. I wish nothing but the best for you. Don't forget me, I begged, I remember you said, sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead." ~ Someone Like You ~ Adele





We are all unique, yet, none are special in our burdens or cares in the world. We walk alone, no matter the circumstances. We live every day with our regrets and our mistakes, ever seeking a simple gesture of humanity. Seeking something that will lessen the weight of our world resting on our shoulders. The search is a long and exhausting endeavor.

From our frosted view of the world, where hearts have grown cold, we wonder is there a sun? Will we ever feel its warmth on our face? Is there a place in the world where people see past the scarlet letters sewn upon our breasts; a place where forgiveness lives? Is redemption something real, or only a hopeful fantasy carved out in centuries of literary prose?

Within the walls of the fortress, there is at least a sense of security. The fortress built stone by stone, through labors lasting years and years; a security where hurts cannot reach our hearts and souls.

The walls begin to crumble, in the hopes that someone will make it 'ok' to step outside, to trust the world is not covered with ice. Time and time again, we make the mistake of letting someone in, only to find all they see is the scarlet letters of past mistakes, on which regret feeds. Stones are replaced as quickly as they crumbled. Self-preservation overtakes the need for anything the outside world has to offer. The fortress secure once more.


I hate to turn up out of the blue univited, but I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it. I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded, for me it isn't over. Nevermind, I'll find someone like you. I wish nothing but the best for you. Don't forget me, I begged, I remember you said, sometimes it lasts in love and sometimes it hurts instead.



Someone Like You - Adele - 2011, XL Recordings

No comments:

Post a Comment